Monday, July 8, 2013

Angel Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

     I love strawberry shortcake but as you can tell from the picture below, I have a little twist on my version. I use angel food cake instead of shortcake biscuits. I love my version because there is something about the sweet lightness and spongy texture of the angel food cake combined with the fresh sweetness of the strawberries that makes it just amazing! Add a little whipped cream on top (I use Cool Whip) and you have the perfect dessert for Summer. So good!

Angel Strawberry Shortcake Recipe | www.SpicyPinkInspirations.com

     The strawberry topping for this dessert is pretty straight forward. Stem and quarter approximately 2 quarts of fresh strawberries and combine with approximately 2/3 Cup of white sugar in a bowl. I say approximately because it really depends on how much topping you want to make and how sweet you like your strawberry mixture. I like a little sweeter taste so I add a little more sugar. Cover and chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.

As I said I like to use angel food cake. Here is the recipe I used and really enjoyed!

Ingredients

  • 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  • Place egg whites in a large small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
  • Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
  • Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
  • Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Makes: 12-16 servings.


     When serving, top each slice with a generous amount of the strawberry mixture making sure to also drizzle some of the syrup from the mixture onto each slice as well. Top with a dollop of your choice of whipped cream and ENJOY!